Monday 5 January 2009

‘Should entertainment not drama be ITV’s priority?’

As I'm still catching up on my festive TV (told you I rarely watch things live) I thought I'd address the question above. This was apparently posed in the 'fun column' in Broadcast during December. Now, as it's called the fun column, I'm assuming that it is indeed just a bit of fun. And thankfully the result was Yes - 30% and No - 70%. But when I read about it in Twelvepoint.com I thought this was the dumbest thing I'd heard all year.

Surely the answer has to be no, no, no. Just because ITV hasn't quite managed to get a great returning series off and running, doesn't mean it should stop trying! Please don't just leave us with I'm an idiot get me out of here, X-factor, Dancing on something or other, et al.

There have been some successes, most notably Lost in Austen, and others such as Midnight Man, The Fixer and Primeval. As well as foreign imports like Entourage, Dexter and Pushing Daisies.

And is cool stuff coming up in the next few months - just check out their website. It's also a good way of course to see who's making what.

So whilst I will get to my festive TV review this week (hopefully Wednesday!) I'm already looking forward to watching Demons, The Diary of Anne Frank, Waterloo Road, Hustle, Life of Riley, 24.

And that's just in the next week or so! Who says these are dark times for TV drama?

No comments: