Wednesday 14 October 2009

Things we noticed watching tv this week special: Phil Redmond's Huw Wheldon Memorial Lecture

I was flicking channels late on Monday night and came across this on BBC2. The lecture was given last month but I don't recall any blog coverage about it then. And I certainly don't think it had been broadcast already. So I was quite pleased to stumble onto it.

I couldn't find it on iplayer so I was going to do one of my scatter gun like note taking. But a little bit more research later and I found the whole lecture, word for word, could be read here. I certainly recommend taking the time to do so.

But if you haven't got time for that, the slightly shocking long and short of it can be read about here.

Plenty of interesting food for thought. All comments welcome of course.

2 comments:

Scott Payne said...

I was there at the lecture given by Phil Redmond. It was an interesting experience, and I planned to blog about it myself, but I got distracted with other things!

You can actually see me if you watch the programme... I was in the front row and the cameraman decided, for some obscure reason, to get a big close up of my face. Very embarassing, I couldn't watch it back in fear of seeing myself!

But you can actually see the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOUbTzIztA

Anyway, I agree with what Phil Redmond says about children's television. It needs to be more captivating than it currently is, it's missing out on a whole audience of 11-15 year olds and they're turning elsewhere.

As for the merging of C4 and the BBC, I don't think I know enough about it to make an informed decision. But something has to change, because the sate of children's television in that age range (apart from the odd exception) is pretty dire at the moment.

Yehudah Jez Freedman said...

haha excellent! first TV appearance of hopefully a long career!