Monday 16 August 2010

A Meme: It All Started When... How I Got Into Screenwriting

So I'm not quite sure how these meme things work, but Michelle tagged me to write a post on how I got into screenwriting. There wasn't really one moment as such, but this is how it came about:
I've always enjoyed writing stories. Always. Even at school, whilst lagging behind in those horrible maths workbooks etc, writing stories would regularly get me good marks. And although I didn't realise it then, I was probably writing fledgling screenplays. Because long, flowery prose never appealed to me. My stories had short, quick descriptions and lots of dialogue!

When I went to Uni I studied English Literature, and it was there that I started to think seriously about Story; how stories work, how they are constructed, etc. At this point I was still hedging my bets between journalism and screenwriting - so I did a Post Grad Diploma at Birkbeck College where I could take modules in both. I quickly discovered journalism wasn't for me. When told that if a couple have just lost their child in a road accident and you have to be able to knock on their door and get the story, I knew I was in the wrong classroom. I also realised I didn't want to tell other people's stories, which is basically what journalism is (kind of.) I wanted to tell my own. Moreover, I absolutely loved the screenwriting modules. What I was writing was absolute garbage - but the form seemed to come naturally. I can't remember when exactly but at some point I bought Final Draft and still use that same one today.

So it was more gradual evolution than moment of inspiration. Like I've mentioned previously I went on to do an MA Screenwriting and had a brilliant time. I was sure I'd made the right choice and there was nothing else I wanted to do. And there still isn't.


I think most of the bloggers I know have already done this - except one... Yes that's right, David Melkevik I am tagging you! And I have no idea how. Oh and whilst I'm throwing this tagging lark around, lets throw Lisa into the mix too.

2 comments:

Candice said...

"When told that if a couple have just lost their child in a road accident and you have to be able to knock on their door and get the story, I knew I was in the wrong classroom."

Amen to that. I left my journalism course for the same reason.

Yehudah Jez Freedman said...

what did you do instead?