Thursday 5 August 2010

Run Mckee Run

I've been a bit quiet of late. I know that. I have my reasons, but they are personal. Nevertheless, apologies to those kind enough to regularly read this blog and hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

In the meantime, and if you haven't already been made aware of it by David Lemon, there is a new blog in town ready to (rightfully) gobble up the readership of the rest of us.

D'you know what makes a good writer, at least at the beginning when cutting ones teeth, or in mafia parlance, making your bones. It's being able to write for a long running series, take the same characters and basic plot formulas as everyone else, and still stand out from the crowd. It's the same as really good chefs I suppose. Two cooks can have the same ingredients and recipe and come up with wildly different standards of dishes.

And the more TV you watch, the better you'll get at spotting them. This is what happened with Sarah Phelps and Eastenders. Before the episode even got to the drums I got pretty good at predicting a Sarah Phelps episode. And I started noticing pretty early that the episodes I enjoyed most of Clocking Off and later on Shameless, were all written by Danny Brocklehurst.

And Lisa Holdsworth definitely fits into this category. When I saw her name alongside the written by credit of things like New Tricks, Waterloo Road and Robin Hood, it was pretty safe to say it was going to be a good episode. And the good news for us is that now she's got a blog. Because like James Moran, she is one of the few bloggers (myself very much included) doing what we are all aspiring to do. Write for cool TV shows on the regular basis. (And if the debut blog post is anything to go by, it's going to make for some interesting and thought provoking reading!)

So whilst I hope to get back to blogging more regularly, you're probably better off reading hers anyway. But, erm, please come back here too. Please.

No comments: